September 8th, 2020
- Shine day! Tuesday! Every year, on the first Tuesday of the school year,101ers and guides alike come together to raise funds and awareness for Cystic Fibrosis, a fatal genetic disease affecting thousands of Canadians today. As 101 week goes virtual this year, instead of taking to the streets, 101ers are invited to take to the web for this year’s Shine Day and enjoy a virtual fun-filled day of activities and speakers!
- We have plenty of events planned (you are encouraged to make a donation) and some awesome prizes to be won. Our goal is to raise $10,000 and as we approach our goal, our lovely volunteers will perform some ridiculous dares for your entertainment.
- Check out our many events below and register before it’s too late, spaces are limited!
Want to learn more about cystic fibrosis? Come to our speaker series to hear from some CF warriors! The series runs from 10-1 on September 8th 2020, and you will not want to miss it. Our speakers include:
- Professor Shawn Aaron, who will be providing a general overview of the impacts CF has on patients
- Thomas Kovesi, who will be giving a general overview of CF
- Cystic Fibrosis Canada researcher Dao Nguyen
- Anne-Marie, who will be talking about their journey with CF
- Certified Family Life Educator and parent coach Lisa Greene
- Chris Macleod, chair of the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Treatment Society (CCFTS).
Minecraft Design Contest
Remember the outdoors? Remember chopping down trees, mining, and fighting off creepers? Sign up for our Minecraft Design Tournament! You’ll be given a list of challenges, and you will have the day to build the biggest, most beautiful creations possible. Our panel of judges will determine the winner, who will be awarded a prize of a $50 Steam gift card! Are you the baddest builder?
List of challenges:
- Pick one:
- Recreate a work of art (i.e. Mona Lisa, Girl with a Pearl Earring)( /20)
- Make an original piece of art ( /20)
- Create a model of the Canadian parliament ( /25)
- Build a tribute to your faculty ( /30)
- Build an army of snowpeople ( /10)
- Make a roller coaster ( /30)
- Make a Geegee ( /20)
- Design a vehicle of any kind (other than a rollercoaster) ( /15)
Note: The bigger your projects are, the more points you’ll earn. Focus on the high point ones the most.
We know you’ve brushed up on your gaming skills during quarantine (and even if you didn’t, these games are super easy and fun) so try out your luck on one of our three Shine Day Jackbox tournaments! There are 3x $25 dollar gift cards to UberEats for grabs. We have qualifiers all day long, with our finals from 4 PM to 5 PM to see who really is the best.
Jackbox - Fibbage 2
Jackbox - Guesspionage
Jackbox - Murder Trivia Party
Looking to learn some new skills during quarantine? Join us as we put on a variety of classes and teach you how to rant about profs in french (among other things), gain some clout on instagram, learn to manage your finances (from all the money you get on instagram) and how to stay healthy for all your new found fans. Not only will you acquire some awesome skills you’ll be entered in a chance to win a gift card for Uber.
SHINE1102: Oral Communication in French as a Second Language
SHINE1101: Fundamentals of Finances in Student Life
SHINE1104: Selected Topics in Life Science- Staying Healthy During Quarantine
SHINE1103: Principles of Content Creation and Aesthetic Development
Shinerama Escape Room
Check out this year’s Shine Day Trivia Game with themes from Disney Classics to Pop culture and Netflix Specials! Make sure your laptop is charged and ready to go, you won’t want to miss out on this one!
Pop Culture Trivia
Ottawa Special Trivia
General Knowledge Trivia
Disney Classics Trivia
Netflix Specials Trivia
Dares & Challenges
For each goal we hit our volunteers will do some insane challenges.
Ashley, UOSU’s own Fundraiser Coordinator, will tug on your heartstrings with a soulful rendition of Gotta Go My Own Way from High School Musical 2 with her Shawn Mendes cardboard cutout.
The SSA’s own VP Equity, Michael, will beautify his legs by giving them a wax.
The UOSU President himself, Babacar, will show his stuff and do 50 pushups in a row!
Shreya, the VP Philanthropy of the CSSA, will scorch her mouth by eating a spoon of hot sauce!
One member of the SSA’s charity committee will ruin their hair by cracking an egg on their head in an intense game of egg roulette!
Jeremy, the VP Philanthropy of the PSAÉP, will put his trust in his colleagues’ hands when he undergoes a blindfolded taste test!
SASA’s VP Philanthropy, Mariama has been notched and will shave off part of her eyebrows!
Shannon, the VP Philanthropy of the CHRA, will eat a delicious ice cream sundae! Oh? We’re out of chocolate sauce? No worries! Use ketchup and mustard instead!
Babacar will show off his bling as he pierces both his ears!
The SSA’s VP Philanthropy, Ricky, will give his chest a makeover by giving it a nice wax straight down the middle.
Sofia, CSA’s VP Philanthropy will one up Babacar and pierce her nose!
Brittany, SSA’s Finance Assistant, and Anjaliya, SSA’s Senator, will dye their hair to Shinerama’s trademark orange and blue!
Ricky decided it’s time for a new hairdo and will start fresh by shaving his head bald!
Sammy, ESS’s VP Philanthropy, and Julian, ESS’s Commissioner will pull an engineering classic and dye themselves purple!
Ricky and Shannon will do the unthinkable and endure the heat of eating a Carolina Reaper, the world’s hottest pepper!
The SSA’s Fundraising Coordinator, Rahna, will show her dedication to her role and give herself a Shine themed tattoo!
UOSU’s VP of University Affairs, Lindsey, will give herself a Shine inner lip tattoo!