Foot Patrol Walk and Talk Instructions
If you are walking, in a bus or taxi alone and feeling unsafe, call 343-887-6472 to speak to a volunteer. The volunteer will act as your friend and will talk with you until you feel safe again.
The volunteer will ask the following information from you to identify you if an emergency occurs:
- Current location
- Phone Number
- Expected time until arrival
- What you are wearing to be immediately identified in an emergency
If you do not wish to disclose any of this information, you have the absolute right to do so at your own risk.
You will be asked for an update about every 5 minutes. This is just for the volunteer to know that you are still moving towards your destination. Call back immediately if disconnection occurs.
Over the phone, the volunteer will keep a conversation going by getting to know you and ensure that you are still physically safe. Also, it is always fun getting to know new people!
In case of a call disconnect:
- Please call back immediately
- If you are unable to, you will receive a call immediately after 30 seconds.
- If you do not call back or accept the call, please note that campus protection will be notified if you are on campus, and if you are off campus The Ottawa Police will be notified.
*In case of an emergency and you are able to call 911, let the foot patrol volunteer know, hang up and dial 911*. The volunteer will also be dialling 911.
In the event of an audible emergency where you are unable to call 911, yell “code red” and let the volunteer know what is happening, in this case the volunteer will immediately contact protection on campus or 911 off campus.
Monday: 10:00am- 11:30am
Wednesday: 10am- 2pm
85 University Private
Ottawa, Ontario, K1N 9A7
Send your volunteer form to our contact email, or drop it off in person during office hours.