Labour Relations & HR Advisor, Management Team
Position: Labour Relations & HR Advisor
Hours of work: 37.5 hours/week
Salary: $75,000 to $85,000 per year, with competitive benefits package
Reporting to: Executive Director
The University of Ottawa Students’ Union (UOSU) is the official student government of 35,000 undergraduate students at the University of Ottawa, with a mandate to represent the interests of students and provide essential services on campus. Together, elected student leaders and dedicated administrative staff work to improve the academic and social lives of students at the University of Ottawa.
The UOSU is seeking an experienced nonprofit manager to serve as a Labour Relations & HR Advisor Manager. The Labour Relations & HR Advisor Manager is for the strategic and operational guidance in the planning, development, implementation and administration of human resources. This will also include labour relations, recruiting, onboarding, retention, and career development practises/strategies, policy, procedure, and collective agreement bargaining and interpretation.
Provides expert advice to management and members of the unionized and non-unionized academic community on the interpretation and application of collective bargaining agreements, as well as any labour and employment-related issues, such as policies and procedures, grievance handling, mediation and arbitration, conflict investigation, disability and attendance management, discipline and performance management, and governance-related issues.
The Labour Relations & HR Advisor reports to the Executive Director and student executives and supports them in fulfilling their mandates and achieving their strategic goals.
- Develop policy and directs and coordinates human resources activities, such as employment, compensation, labour relations, benefits and training.
- Enforce management guidelines by preparing, updating, and recommending human resource policies and procedures.
- Maintain the work structure by managing the recruitment and selection process, updating job requirements and job descriptions when required.
- Maintain pay plans and benefit programs.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory and legislative requirements, including privacy, human rights, etc.
- Resolve conflicts through positive and professional means.
- Assist with issues relating to collective bargaining agreements.
- Conduct fact-finding investigations and generates supporting material for disciplinary proceedings, grievances, arbitration, and administrative court proceedings.
- Develop problem-solving solutions for formal and informal procedures, with a focus on strengthening relationships between the UOSU and its employees.
- Ensure a strategic advising role in identifying major concerns and difficulties at UOSU in preparation for staff bargaining units’ collective agreement renewals.
- Determine and suggest employee relations techniques that will result in a favourable employer-employee connection that will boost employee morale and motivation.
- Maintain a smooth onboarding process.
- Nurture a positive working environment.
- Training, counselling and coaching our staff.
Carry out necessary administrative duties.
Carry out other tasks as needed.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
- Degree in a related field of Human Resources or administration;
- 1 to 3 years of experience interpreting and applying Collective Bargaining Agreements, Policies, and Procedures, ideally in a not for profit setting;
- Bilingualism spoken and written (in both French and English) is a requirement;
- Ability to build and maintain positive relationships with colleagues;
- Ability to work within a diverse team and prioritize promoting inclusivity;
- Strong communications, interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills;
- Strong writing skills with an eye for detail;
- Experience in educating and coaching staff;
- Experience in conflict resolution, disciplinary processes and workplace investigations;
- Experience in following and maintaining workplace privacy;
- Knowledge of relevant health and safety laws;
- Proven working experience as HR manager or other manager;
- People-oriented and results-driven;
- Demonstrable experience with human resources metrics;
- Competency in Microsoft applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook;
- Knowledge of HR systems and databases;
- Ability to architect strategy along with leadership skills;
- Excellent active listening, negotiation and presentation skills;
- Competence to build and effectively manage interpersonal relationships at all levels of the organization;
- In-depth knowledge of labour law and HR best practices;
- Knowledge of the UOSU and its Services, businesses, activities, Constitution and Policies is an asset, and
- CHRP is an asset
Bilingualism is required in French and English. Please note that the interview will be held in both French and English.
Preference will be given to candidates of equity-seeking groups.
Prospective applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and list of two (2) references to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 PM on July 4th, 2022. Only applicants invited to interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.